HomeFinanceNew York Gov. Hochul touts NYC as first U.S. city to move...

New York Gov. Hochul touts NYC as first U.S. city to move forward with traffic congestion pricing – UnlistedNews

Pedestrians cross a street past traffic in the Midtown neighborhood of New York on June 17, 2023.

Mayor Bloomberg | Mayor Bloomberg | fake images

After New York City was authorized late last week to move forward with a congestion pricing plan, Gov. Kathy Hochul said Tuesday that the largest US city is leading the way in “achieving cleaner air, safer streets and better traffic.

The Federal Highway Administrationa division of the US Department of Transportation, gave the green light New York to move forward with a plan to manage congestion, primarily through tolls in parts of Manhattan.

The measure could take effect as early as spring 2024 and would be the first of its kind in the US, according to New York’s Metropolitan Transportation Authority. State agencies have 310 days to start the toll program and associated infrastructure.

“We’re going to be the first state in the nation, the first city in the United States, to have a congestion pricing plan,” Hochul said at a news conference Tuesday. “Others will look at us. Other cities are paying attention. How is it going to work here? Well, we’ll show them. We’ll show them how it’s done.”

Although it is a new model for the US, congestion pricing plans were previously implemented in London, Stockholm and Singapore.

The cost of the toll is still being decided. TO Six-member Traffic Mobility Review Board is tasked with determining the specific pricing structure.

TO report last august The environmental effect of the plan included toll rates ranging from $9 to $23 during peak hours, $7 to $17 during off-peak hours, and $5 to $12 at night.

Pedestrians cross a street past traffic in the Midtown neighborhood of New York on June 17, 2023.

Mayor Bloomberg | Mayor Bloomberg | fake images

The toll area covers much of the surface roads in midtown Manhattan. Cars will be tolled on 60th Street and south, but not on FDR Drive along the East Side or West Side Highway. There will also be no tolls at the Battery Park underpass or any portion of the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel surface road connecting to West Street, according to the MTA.

Tolls will be collected through E-ZPass. For cars that do not have E-ZPass, an invoice will be mailed to the address of the registered vehicle, the MTA says.

The congestion pricing plan, formally called Central Business District Toll Programwas made by the MTAhe New York State Department of Transportation and the New York City Department of Transportation. Their goal is to reduce congestion in Manhattan, improve air quality, and raise money to invest in the city’s public transportation system.

Before the Covid-19 pandemic, approximately 700,000 vehicles entered the central business district per day, according to data from the New York Metropolitan Transportation Council. shared by the MTA. In 2020, traffic dropped to just 10% of normal volume, but has since recovered to more than 90% of pre-pandemic levels, a stronger recovery than public transit ridership. says the MTA.

The MTA Reform and Transit Mobility Act was passed in April 2019 He called for the traffic congestion plan and included certain limits, including making sure passenger vehicles could only be charged once a day for entering the area. Residents of those neighborhoods who earn less than $60,000 will be eligible for a state tax credit. The law also requires that overnight toll rates be lower than the maximum costs and that a discount be available for low-income drivers.

Janno LieberThe MTA CEO said at Tuesday’s news conference that the plan required a 4,000-page environmental assessment for federal government approval.

“They studied it to death,” Lieber said. “And we studied every intersection almost all the way to Philadelphia. And they studied the air quality, and they studied everything that it means, and they said that this initiative, this dramatic historic initiative, will not have a significant impact on the 28 million people in the region under federal environmental law. That’s what this means.”

However, some New Jersey Democratic lawmakers are upset by the measure and the associated costs.

“This is nothing more than a cash grab to fund the MTA,” Reps. Josh Gottheimer and Bill Pascrell and Sen. Bob Menendez said in a joint written statement released Tuesday.

They wrote that the plan represents an attempt by New York to “balance its budget on the backs of New Jersey’s working families.”

LOOK: The $52.6 billion plan to save the New York region from climate change

Source

Sara Marcus
Sara Marcushttps://unlistednews.com
Meet Sara Marcus, our newest addition to the Unlisted News team! Sara is a talented author and cultural critic, whose work has appeared in a variety of publications. Sara's writing style is characterized by its incisiveness and thought-provoking nature, and her insightful commentary on music, politics, and social justice is sure to captivate our readers. We are thrilled to have her join our team and look forward to sharing her work with our readers.
RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular

Recent Comments